By Faye VanRavenswaay
Businesses, groups, organizations, families or individuals are welcome to enter the 2014 Jubilee of Trees at the Schoolcraft Community Library by decorating a tabletop tree, using a theme of an individual’s choice and setting the tree up at the library.
Jubilee of Trees is a Friends of the Library (FOL) fundraiser. The proceeds help defray the cost of children’s programming. FOL foots much of the bill for summer reading so a lot will go specifically towards that. The goal is to fill all 40 tree slots this year.
Last year, the Jubilee of Trees raised over $1500 between votes, registration fees, donations, and the silent auction. First place went to “Bear Stays Up For Christmas” by Peoples Federal Savings Bank, featuring handcrafted animal ornaments inspired by the book “Bear Stays Up for Christmas.”
Requirements for the trees are:
- Trees should be no taller than 3 feet.
- Registration forms and a $10 registration fee are due November 7.
- Tree may be entered in the silent auction if entrant so chooses.
- Entrants may set up their decorated trees between November 15 and 18. Trees are to be set up during library’s open hours.
*Trees need to be removed between December 10 and 19.
Schedule of events
*Encourage friends, family and co-workers to come to the library between November 18 and December 9 to vote for a special tree or their favorite tree at 25 cents per vote.
- December 2-9, Silent Auction of some trees.
- December 9, 6-7:30 p.m. is a Punch and Cookie Celebration and the last chance to vote for a favorite tree.
- Awards for top three trees will be announced on December 10.
- Trees will be on display until December 10.