The Vicksburg Historical Society’s plaque committee has placed five bronze plaques on historical buildings in Vicksburg that are significant to the town’s growth and development. The latest is on J.R. and Nancy Fulton’s building at 100 S. Main Street. Following is the wording on the plaque:
“Records of 100 South Main Street date from 1835. The first known structure there was a log building built in the early 1840’s by Mathew Wilson, a blacksmith. By 1850, Russell Bishop owned a store where Wilson’s smithy had been. It is the same framed building that still stands to this day (2015) at 100 South Main, likely the oldest retail building in Vicksburg.
“In 1874, the building was purchased by Manfred Hill, known for his honesty and held in highest esteem by his fellow business men and the community. He established Hill’s Grocery which remained in the family for 50 years. From 1874 through 1968, the businesses in this building sold groceries and sundries under the names of Hill’s, Richelieu Store, Kroger, Crommel’s Grocery, and the Party Store.
“The second floor housed various other trades including Baldwin & Condon Agency, Chas. Baldwin Insurance Agency, Ladies Library Association meetings, Vicksburg Commercial, a tailor shop and Susie Atkins Bonnet Shop.
“Purchased by J. R. and Nancy Fulton in 1971, the building has since housed an art gallery, antique shop, Amish crafted oak furniture, appliances, a bridal shop, D & D Variety and investment and accounting offices.”